Prep 15 mins
Cook 10 mins
From Martha Rose Shulman.
- 2 garlic cloves, finely minced
- 1⁄4 cup chopped flat leaf parsley
- 2 teaspoons finely chopped lemon zest
- 3⁄4 lb fusilli (or rigatoni or linguine)
- 1 lb asparagus, trimmed and cut into 1-inch pieces
- salt, to taste
- fresh ground black pepper, to taste
- 2 -3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1⁄4 cup grated fresh parmesan cheese
- Start by heating a large pot full of water.
- In a small bowl, mix together the garlic, parsley, and lemon zest; set aside.
- When the water is boiling, add 1 tablespoon salt and gradually add the pasta.
- Stir, making sure the pasta does not stick to the bottom of the pan.
- Four to five minutes before the end of the pasta cooking time, add the asparagus to the pot.
- Boil until the pasta is al dente (firm to the bite); check the package for time indications--usually 8-10 minutes, although very thin pasta cooks more quickly.
- Drain the asparagus and pasta.
- Toss the pasta and asparagus in a warm serving bowl with the garlic/parsley/lemon mixture, salt, pepper, and olive oil.
- Sprinkle individual servings with parmesan cheese.
- Note--you may prepare the garlic mixture an hour before serving.