Prep 30 mins
Cook 1 hr 30 mins
This recipe is from the National Pasta Association. Cooking time includes 1-hour chilling time.
Make and share this Pasta Salad With Olives, Roasted Fennel and Onions recipe from Food.com.
- 1 lb small shell pasta, cooked,rinsed with cold water and set aside
- 1 1⁄2 cups fennel bulbs, cut in half lengthwise
- 1 large sweet onion, sliced 1/2 inch thick
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 cup plum tomato, diced
- 3⁄4 cup kalamata olive, pitted and sliced
- 1⁄2 cup fresh basil or 1⁄2 cup fresh dill or 1⁄2 cup fresh parsley, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, unpeeled (for roasting with fennel and onion)
- 1⁄3 cup balsamic vinegar
- 1⁄3 cup olive oil or 1⁄3 cup vegetable oil
- 2 tablespoons barbecue sauce
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- romano cheese, grated
- crushed red chili pepper
- Toss garlic, fennel and onion with 2 teaspoons olive oil and spread out evenly on a cookie sheet.
- Roast at 375°F until lightly browned and tender, approximately 20 to 30 minutes.
- Set aside the fennel and onion.
- In a bowl, whisk together oil, vinegar, barbecue sauce and lime juice.
- Squeeze the roasted garlic out of its peel, dice and whisk into dressing.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Dice the onion, fennel and tomatoes and add to the cooled pasta.
- Add the olives, herbs, and dressing and toss.
- Cover and refrigerate for 1 hour before serving.
- To serve, sprinkle with Romano cheese and crushed red chili peppers.