Prep 10 mins
Cook 20 mins
Add as much heat as you wish, very good pasta! from B H & G
- 8 ounces dry penne pasta or 8 ounces ziti pasta
- 1 medium onion, thinly sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, smashed
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 4 -6 medium tomatoes, seeded and coarsely chopped, about 3 cups
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes (optional)
- 3 cups arugula or 3 cups watercress or 3 cups spinach, coarsely chopped
- 1⁄4 cup pine nuts or 1⁄4 cup slivered almonds, toasted
- 2 tablespoons crumbled gorgonzola or 2 tablespoons other blue cheese
- Cook pasta according to package directions, drain.
- Cover and keep warm.
- Meanwhile, cook onion and garlic in hot olive oil in a large frypan over medium heat till onion is tender.
- Add tomato, salt, black pepper and if desired crushed red pepper.
- Cook and stir over medium high heat about 2 minutes or till the tomatoes are warm and release some of their juices.
- Stir arugula, watercress, or spinach, and heat just till greens are wilted.
- To serve, divide pasta among individual serving bowls.
- Top with tomato mixture.
- Sprinkle with toasted pine nuts or almonds and the cheese.
This was awesome Dorothy! I made this without the cheese and pine nuts, and it still made a hearty meal. I used penne, spinach and the recipe's measures for black and red pepper and it was just right! Thanks, this one's a keeper for sure.
Absolutely fantastic!!! Made the pasta with spinach and pine nuts, plus cherry tomatoes from the garden. I served it as a room temperature salad, and it was devoured---this pasta dish is so delicious! Thank you so much, Derf! Made for 5 a day in the Photos Forum.