Recipe by Clifford Boren
I don't remember where I saw the original of this recipe, but I changed it a bit. The spice amounts are relative. I put it conservatively, as most people don't like it as spicy as Barb and I do. Jazz it up as much as you like.
- angel hair pasta or linguine, cooked according to package directions
- 1⁄4 cup toasted walnuts
- 1⁄4 cup toasted slivered almonds
- 1⁄4 cup toasted pine nuts
- 1 tablespoon butter (I use Smart Balance(it's actually healthy!) or 1 tablespoon margarine (I use Smart Balance(it's actually healthy!)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1⁄2 cup crumbled gorgonzola
- 1 tablespoon dried basil or 1 tablespoon tarragon
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 1 -2 pinch dried red chili pepper flakes (depending on your chili tolerance)
- black pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Be careful toasting the nuts; take them off the fire before they turn brown, as they will continue to cook in the hot skillet for a minute or two.
- In your favorite skillet (preferably black iron) melt butter and add olive oil.
- Saute the nuts until just a few of them turn brown.
- Take it off the heat, the nuts will continue to cook for a while.
- Stir and shake frequently.
- Dump the nuts into the pasta, add the cheese, and toss to coat.