Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr
This is really good basic recipe. Sometimes, I like to add in some garlic and chopped green chilies to the loaf or use Pepper Jack cheese. You can pretty much spice this up to your taste.
- 2 cups cooked shell pasta or 2 cups elbow macaroni (8 oz.)
- 1 cup soft breadcrumbs (crusts removed)
- 1 cup grated colby-monterey jack cheese or 1 cup mozzarella cheese
- 1⁄4 cup chopped pimiento
- 3 eggs
- 1 cup hot half-and-half cream
- 1⁄4 cup melted butter
- 3 tablespoons chopped onions
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄2 lb lean ground beef (I use ground round)
- 1⁄4 cup chopped onion
- 1 (10 3/4 ounce) can cream of mushroom soup
- 1 cup milk
- 1⁄2 teaspoon Kitchen Bouquet (browning sauce)
- 1 dash nutmeg
- In large bowl, combine macaroni, bread crumbs, cheese and pimiento.
- In separate bowl, beat eggs.
- Add half-n-half, butter, onion, salt and pepper.
- Beat until well combined.
- Combine egg mixture with macaroni mixture, mixing lightly but thoroughly.
- Turn into a greast 9 x 5 inch loaf pan, smoothing top.
- Set pan in shallow pan with water.
- Bake at 350 for 1 hour or until set.
- Meanwhile, prepare meat sauce by sauteeing meat and onion in skillet until browned.
- Drain off fat.
- Add all remaining ingredients.
- Stir until well blended and heat through.
- Thin with more milk, if desired.
- Remove macaroni loaf from pan onto serving platter.
- Cut into slices.
- Serve with meat sauce.
This was easy to make and was pretty good. I omitted the chopped pimentos as no one likes them. I used half Italian breadcrumbs and half regular. I think this could be varied to personal taste very easily and become a keeper. I gave this 4 stars because one of my sons said it wasn't that great. I liked it and my youngest ate 3 helpings. Thanks for sharing.