Prep 20 mins
Cook 10 mins
- 8 ounces dried spaghetti
- 1⁄2 cup dry white wine
- 1⁄4 cup water
- 1⁄3 cup chopped shallot
- 3 garlic cloves, peeled and minced
- 12 littleneck clams
- 10 ounces canned baby clams, broth reserved
- 1 cup low-fat buttermilk
- 2 teaspoons water
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch, dissolved in the water
- 4 teaspoons freshly grated parmesan cheese
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1⁄2 teaspoon white pepper
- 1 teaspoon louisiana hot sauce
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil over high heat. Add the spaghetti and cook to desired doneness, about 6 to 9 minutes.
- Meanwhile, put the wine, water, shallots and garlic in a medium saucepan and bring to a boil over medium heat.
- Add the fresh clams; cover and continue to cook over medium heat.
- Remove the clams when their shells have opened.
- Stir the broth from the canned clams into the saucepan.
- Cook a few minutes more, until the liquid is reduced by half.
- Reduce the heat to low and whisk in the buttermilk and cornstarch mixture.
- Cook for about 2 minutes more to thicken, whisking constantly.
- Stir in the parmesan cheese, canned clams, oregano, basil, pepper, hot sauce and chopped parsley.
- Combine the pasta and the clam sauce in a warm serving bowl and toss to serve.
- Garnish with cooked clams in their shells.