Prep 30 mins
Cook 30 mins
This recipe is dedicated to the wife of a long-time friend, who introduced me to Stravecchio cheese, a premium Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese that is aged for 3 years. Although the cheese has a stronger flavor than regular Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese, the flavor is much smoother. I developed this recipe to showcase the cheese and to thank Debra.
- 4 -8 ounces good beef or 4 -8 ounces chicken breasts or 4 -8 ounces lamb, trimmed and thinly sliced or 4 -8 ounces cubed lobster meat or 4 -8 ounces peeled and deveined large shrimp, sliced lengthwise
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garlic granules
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon lemon & herb seasoning
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 lb bow tie pasta (farfalle) or 1 lb other short pasta, cooked in boiling salt water until al dente
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 -3 cloves garlic, chopped,to taste,but more is better
- 12 -16 ounces fresh mushrooms, cleaned and sliced
- 4 -5 scallions, chopped (green onions)
- 2 plum tomatoes, seeded and diced
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 4 ounces freshly shredded stravecchio cheese (preferred) or 4 ounces parmigiano-reggiano cheese, plus additional for passing
- 2 bunches fresh basil, stemmed and roughly chopped,more to taste
- Serve with Hot ciabatta with cold butter and a vinaigrette salad as accompaniments** This can be made as a main dish by including meat in it, or can be made meatless as a side dish or first course.
- Adjust the amount of meat according to taste; a little, essentially as a flavor enhancement, or in a larger quantity for a more substantial dish If using meat, combine all marinade ingredients in a small plastic bag, add meat, squeeze out air, and seal.
- Knead to distribute marinade, and marinate at room temperature for 30 minutes or longer in the refrigerator.
- Clean and prepare all vegetables, and set aside.
- Bring a generous amount of water with 2 Tbsp of salt to a boil, and add pasta.
- Heat olive oil in a large skillet over high heat, and saute garlic for 15 seconds.
- Add meat, if using, and stir-fry for 1 minute (2 minutes for chicken).
- Add sliced mushrooms, and stir-fry for 1 minute longer.
- Add onions and tomatoes, and stir-fry for 1 minute longer.
- Stir in cream, and bring to a boil.
- Stir in cheese and basil, and continue stirring just until cheese is melted.
- Drain pasta well, and add to sauce in skillet (or return to pasta pot, and add sauce), and toss until pasta is well coated.
- Serve immediately with additional Stravecchio on the side.
- Serve with hot ciabatta and a nice simple salad with vinaigrette dressing (topped with more Stravecchio).
Excellent recipe. Made a vegetarian and lighter version (1/2 & 1/2 bechemel) and didn't have enough basil nor did I have the stravecchio, but very very good. Served with grilled pork steaks for the rest of the family. Will definately be trying again when I have the proper amount of basil and cheese.