Prep 10 mins
Cook 10 mins
I found this hearty pasta dish in our local paper. Serve with a crusty bread
- 3 cups penne pasta
- 2 slices prosciutto, thinly cut
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 onion, coarsely chopped
- 1 yellow pepper, coarsely chopped
- 8 ounces mushrooms (coarsely chopped or sliced, or use brown cremini mushrooms or a mixture of assorted mushrooms)
- 2 garlic, chopped
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1⁄2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 19 ounces tomatoes seasoned with basil garlic & oregano (chunky style)
- 3 cups Baby Spinach
- 1⁄4 cup parmesan cheese, freshly grated
- In a large saucepan, cook pasta for 8 - 10 minutes or until tender.
- Heat Dutch oven over medium high heat until hot. Cook prosciutto in single layer until crisp, about 30 second per side. Remove to paper towl and pat off excess fat. Let cool; cut into thin strips.
- Add oil to same pan. Add onion, yellow pepper and mushrooms; cook over medium high heat, stirring often, until onions and peppers are soften, about 3 minutes. Add garlic, oregano and pepper flakes; cook for about 15 seconds.
- Add tomatoes and bring to a boil; reduce heat and simmer briskly for 3 minutes. Stir in spinach until wilted, about 30 seconds.
- Drain pasta and toss with sauce.
- Sprinkle wit prosciutto strips and parmesan cheese.