Prep 10 mins
Cook 1 hr
A stick to your ribs, cold weather and comfort food, just like mum used to make.
- 4 slices chopped bacon
- 1 carrot, peeled and chopped
- 1 celery rib, chopped
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 clove garlic, very finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 1⁄2 lbs boiling potatoes, peeled and diced
- 6 cups water
- 12 ounces ditalini or 12 ounces elbow macaroni
- 2 cups boiling water
- 1⁄2 cup freshly grated parmesan cheese
- Chop the bacon, carrot, celery, onion, and parsley together.
- Pour the oil into a large pan, add the chopped mixture and cook over medium low heat until the vegetables are tender and golden.
- Stir in the tomato paste and season with salt and pepper.
- Add the potatoes and water, bring to a simmer, and cook until the potatoes are very tender, about 30 minutes.
- Mash some of the potatoes with the back of a spoon.
- Add the pasta and boiling water.
- Cook, stirring often, until the pasta is tender.
- The mixture should remain quite thick, but add more water if it seems too thick.
- Stir in the cheese and serve.
this came out great, i used spaghetti broken into pieces.