Recipe by thekosherchannel
The braise is a one pan show, a delicious way to get your kids to eat of their least fond food group, and a classic cooking technique praised by chefs for hundreds of years. Best of all, braises benefit from being made a day or two ahead. This is one of my favorite Passover side dishes, but I make it all year round, it's from www.thekosherchannel.com.
- 2 -4 lbs root vegetables, peeled, trimmed and cut in 1/2 inch cubes (parsnips, carrots, beets, sweet potatoes, fennel, celery root, rutabaga)
- 1 medium onions or 3 medium shallots, thickly sliced
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 1⁄2 cups orange juice
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 1 tablespoon dried thyme leaves
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Heat oil in a medium sized Dutch Oven over medium heat. Add all vegetables and salt and cook, stirring occasionally for 12-15 minutes, until slightly browned.
- Add orange juice, water and thyme. Cover pot and place in preheated oven. Lower heat to 350 and bake for 25-35 minutes, until vegetables are very tender.
- May be served warm or at room temperature.