Recipe by Chef Dudo
These are good for lunch, as a snack or as breakfast on a matza. Of course they can be made with flour too. I usually make a bunch and freeze them.
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 cup scallion, minced,including some green tops
- 1 cup onion, minced
- 1 1⁄2 lbs mushrooms, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder, to taste
- 1 tablespoon parsley, minced
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1⁄3 cup matzo meal
- salt and pepper, to taste
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat 1 tbs oil in a heavy nonstick skillet over medium heat.
- Fry scallions and onions 3-4 minutes until soft.
- Add mushrooms and garlic.
- Sauté over medium high heat 10-15 minutes, until liquid has evaporated.
- Transfer to a mixing bowl and let cool.
- Stir in parsley and eggs.
- Gradually add matzo meal until mixture has enough body to hold together during frying.
- Add another 1-2 tablespoons matzo meal if necessary.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Heat 2 tbs oil in a heavy nonstick skillet over medium high heat.
- Form each schnitzel by placing 1 heaping tbs of the mushroom mixture in the hot oil and press with back of a wooden spoon to a 3 inch diameter.
- Fry 3-4 minutes per side until lightly browned.
- Drain on paper towels.