Prep 30 mins
Cook 20 mins
A twist on the traditional macaroon with orange zest dipped in chocolate. Great for passover or any other occasion. I just made these and they are so delicious I had to post the recipe right away. It's my first recipe posted, so let me know what you think.
- 3 egg whites
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 1⁄2 cups desiccated coconut
- 1 cup slivered almonds or 1 cup finely chopped almonds
- 1 orange, zest of
- 1 cup chocolate chips
- Preheat the oven to 350°F (180°C). Lightly grease 2 baking sheets.
- In a medium bowl, with electric mixer on high, beat egg whites into soft peaks. Gradually add sugar and salt, beating after each addition until peaks are glossy. Fold in vanilla and orange zest. Fold in coconut and nuts.
- With hands, roll heaping tablespoonfuls of mixture into rounds and set on baking sheets. Bake 20 to 25 minutes, or until golden. Cool on racks.
- Place chocolate chips in microwave-safe bowl and microwave at 25 second increments until chocolate chips are shiny.
- Dip bottoms of macaroons in chocolate.
Yum! Yum! Yum! We loved making and eating these delicious once-a-year treats. The flavor combination is perfect. We dipped half in chocolate and left the other half without. It would be hard to say which was better. Thank you for posting this recipe! Ours cooked in about 15 minutes and yielded 36 cookies.