Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
I love tropical flavors (especially passion fruit and coconut) and I've been courting this particular pie for a while. Haupia has a very pleasant flavor. Haupia is very popular in Hawaii (pudding made with coconut milk or coconut cream and cornstarch) and is well used in many desserts.
- 1 (9 inch) frozen pie crusts (or graham cracker pie shell)
- 1⁄2 cup cornstarch
- 1⁄4 cup water (enough to fully dissolve cornstarch)
- 2⁄3 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 12 ounces frozen coconut milk, thawed
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 2 -4 tablespoons water (enough to fully dissolve cornstarch)
- 2⁄3 cup frozen pineapple-orange-guava juice concentrate
- shredded coconut (optional)
- Prepare frozen pie crust per instructions.
- Haupia Filling:.
- Combine water to cornstarch, set aside. In a saucepan, add coconut milk, sugar, and salt. Bring almost to a boil and add cornstarch mixture. Lower heat while whisking mixture until it is thick and smooth. Remove from heat and let stand a few minutes. Pour into pie shell and refrigerate until haupia sets.
- Add water to cornstarch and mix until dissolved, set aside. In a saucepan, add concentrate and sugar and bring almost to a boil. Remove from heat and add cornstarch mixture and stir continuously until mixture thickens.
- Cool slightly and pour or drizzle over chilled haupia filling. Chill until topping sets.
- Top with shredded coconut before serving.