Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
A tasty, make-ahead antipasto, which will please your guests, and deviates from the usual "chips-and-dips", appetizers. Served with pumpernickle cocktail rounds, sliced baguette, pita rounds or several differently shaped crackers, your guests will feel comfortable enjoying this vitamin-rich natural, delight. No left-overs guaranteed. Prep. time does not include refrigeration time to allow ingredients to "season". Can be made today for tomorrow's party.
- 1 bunch asparagus (spears not too thick)
- 2 medium fresh carrots
- 3 fresh roma tomatoes, skinned
- 3 medium fresh zucchini
- 3 -4 cauliflower florets
- 3 -4 broccoli florets
- 3 stalks celery
- 3 -4 green onions, complete with stems
- 6 -8 medium fresh white mushrooms
- 6 -8 pitted black olives
- 6 -8 pitted green olives
- 1 fresh green bell pepper
- 1 fresh sweet red pepper
- 1 fresh orange sweet bell pepper
- 1 fresh yellow sweet pepper
- 1 teaspoon chopped garlic
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
- 1 teaspoon masala curry powder
- 1 tablespoon Splenda sugar substitute
- 1 tablespoon sesame seeds
- salt and pepper
- Preheat Oven to 400 degrees F.
- Put all of the Fresh Peppers in a shallow oven pan and roast, turning frequently to allow all sides to cook.
- Continue roasting until the skin blisters and begins to peel away from the peppers.
- This is the only time you will use your oven.
- Remove Roasted Peppers, open up, clean out the seed pod and stem, and discard.
- Peel the peppers, chop and place in a large bowl.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together, soy sauce, vinegar, sesame oil, Splenda, curry powder and set aside.
- Cut about one inch off the bottoms of the asparagus spears and discard.
- Steam cook the asparagus spears.
- Do not overcook.
- Fine-chop asparagus and place in bowl with the peppers.
- Skin the Roma tomatoes, by dipping in very hot water for a few minutes.
- The skin will slide off easily.
- In your Food Processor, add the following in order, carrots, cauliflower, broccholi, zucchini, garlic, all the olives, mushrooms and tomatoes.
- Pulse-chop, in reasonable quantities and pieces at one time, through the feed tube.
- It will take several processes to complete the chopping.
- Hand-chop green onions, and celery spears.
- Add to the bowl with asparagus and roasted peppers.
- Next, add the whisked ingredients to the bowl; salt and pepper to taste, and mix well.
- Cover and set in refrigerator to"season".
- When ready to serve to your party guests, give the mixture an additional turn with a large spoon.
- Set out in separate bowls suitable for dipping, one cup portions at a time.
- Sprinkle each serving with Sesame Seeds and mix carefully to blend.
- Serve on separate trays with several kinds of your favourite cocktail crackers for dipping.
- Also goes well with baked tortilla chips, and small pita rounds.
I was a bit daunted at first by the list of ingredients, but I was expecting company last weekend and decided to make this. Fantastic! Enjoyed by all and nothing but good things were said. I upped the garlic to 2 teaspoons cause we're garlic fiends but everything else was the same. Very good recipe.