Prep 8 hrs
Cook 6 mins
This also works well using turkey strips, plan ahead the chicken needs to marinate for 8 hours --- these may be grilled or oven-broiled, they make a great appetizer for a party --- you can make these well in advance and refrigerate, just make certain that the chicken skewers are kept in sealed plastic bags so the wooden skewers will not dry out and make certain to soak the skewers in water for at least 30 minutes, 1 or more hours if you are planning to prepare ahead and refrigerate, this will prevent the skewers from burning while cooking --- servings is only estimated it will depend on how many strips you thread onto each skewer :)
- 1 cup crunchy peanut butter
- 1⁄4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 1⁄4 cups salsa
- 1⁄4 cup brown sugar
- 1⁄2 cup low sodium soy sauce
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1⁄4 cup lemon juice
- 1⁄4-1⁄2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 2 -3 tablespoons fresh minced garlic
- 6 green onions, chopped
- 6 -8 boneless skinless chicken breasts (cut into three long strips)
- bamboo skewer
- In a large bowl mix together all ingredients except the chicken strips; mix well to combine.
- Add the chicken strips and toss to coat with the marinade.
- Cover and refrigerate for about 8-24 hours, tossing occasionally during the chilling time.
- About 1 hour before threading the chicken soak the wooden bamboo skewers in cold water for at least 30 minutes or more.
- Discard the marinade, then thread the chicken strips onto skewer snake-like.
- Grill or oven-broil for about 4-6 minutes or until just browned and cooked through.