Prep 10 mins
Cook 1 hr 30 mins
You can use chicken or pork chops for this also. From a recipe book on 18th century frontier outpost recipes.
- 2 young partridges
- 1 1⁄2 heads red cabbage
- 2 apples
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 4 tablespoons stock
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons vinegar
- salt and pepper
- Split partridge through back and fix it flat.
- Rub salt and pepper over all surfaces.
- Brown bird and onion in butter.
- Into a Dutch oven or kettle put half of the cabbage, apple and sugar add bird breast side up, add remaining of cabbage, apple and sugar. Add stock.
- Cook 1 1/2 hours watching closely or until birds and cabbage are tender.