Prep 20 mins
Cook 40 mins
These croquettes are easy to make and give another dimension to the lovely veggie Parsnip. The outside of the croquette has a nice, almost, crunch to it and is smooth inside
- 2 lbs parsnips, pared,cut into 2 inch lengths and fully cooked
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs, well beaten
- 1⁄3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon fresh minced parsley
- 1 jalapeno pepper, finely chopped (Optional)
- 1 pinch mace
- 4 -6 tablespoons butter or 4 -6 tablespoons lite olive oil
- Process parsnips in food processor until mixture is pureed but still has small lumps.
- Place parsnips in a mixing bowl and add Eggs, Flour,Parsley, Salt, Pepper, Mace& Jalepeno.
- Mix until well blended.
- Cover and put in refrigerator for 1 hour or until very cold.
- Shape mixture into patties 3" x 1/2" thick.
- Put 4 tbsp butter (or oil), into a skillet, heat.
- Cook croquettes apprx 8 min each side until then are well browned.
- Be gentle whrn you turn them.
- Keep warm until you serve them.
A neighbor gave me two lovely parsnips that have been wintered over... They were soooo sweet that when I used them in this recipe they nicely balanced the hot pepper in this lovely veggie sidedish. Thanks so much for posting. =) This is a keeper!! (I'm e-mailing it to several friends. )
Totally yummy and so easy to make! I made these for my 85 year old mother who has always loved parsnips and she thought they were absolutely wonderful - so I'll certainly be making these again, Bergy! I omitted the optional jalapeno pepper because we have a VERY low tolerance of anything hot but, apart from adding a few additional herbs - rosemary, thyme and sage on this occasion - I didn't change a thing. Fantastic recipe: thank you so much for sharing it! Made for All New Zaar Cookbooks Tag.
Bergy, confession time! I have never had a parsnip in my whole life, nor did I really WANT to have one LOL! But my DH really wanted to try this recipe, as he enjoys parsnips, so I gave it a go. Am I ever glad I did!! These were delicious! Crunchy on the outside and smooth inside, as promised. I am low carbing, so I made these in place of potatoes, and they really hit the spot. They reminded me of potatoe pancakes. Thanks for a great recipe and a new love of parsnips! Made for PAC Spring 2007.