Recipe by BurtonFanatic
After the pasta and onion are sautéed, the oil is drained to minimize the fat content of this interesting pilaf. From SparkPeople.com Calories: 165 Fat: 6 g Carbohydrates: 13 g Protein: 14 g
Top Review by pattikay in L.A.
A nice rice side dish. I think I will play around with the seasonings, but it is a good base recipe. It could be good without the parmesan cheese, but the cheese does add a nice touch. Thanks!
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1⁄2 cup finely broken vermicelli, uncooked
- 4 tablespoons diced onions
- 1 cup long-grain white rice, uncooked
- 1 1⁄4 cups hot chicken stock
- 1 1⁄4 cups hot water
- 1⁄4 teaspoon white pepper
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 tablespoons grated parmesan cheese
- 1 tablespoon fresh parsley, chopped
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large skillet, heat oil. Sauté vermicelli and onion until golden brown, about 2 to 4 minutes over medium-high heat. Drain off oil.
- Add rice, stock, water, pepper, and bay leaf. Cover and simmer 15-20 minutes. Fluff with fork. Cover and let stand 5-20 minutes. Remove bay leaf.
- Sprinkle with cheese and serve immediately.