Prep 0 mins
Cook 15 mins
A creamy red sauce delicious over any type of pasta.
- 1⁄4 cup olive oil
- 2 large garlic cloves
- 1 1⁄2-2 lbs plum tomatoes
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 1⁄4 cup heavy cream
- 1⁄2 cup freshly grated parmesan cheese
- 2 tablespoons parsley
- 1 pinch sugar (or a peeled carrot)
- water, as needed
- In a large heavy saucepan, heat olive oil, then add the garlic cloves (whole so they add a "gentle" garlic flavor).
- Add the tomatoes, salt and pepper. Cover and cook tomatoes until they're soft and collapsed (about 10 min.). If the skins bother you, then fish them out.
- Uncover and cook, stirring often, until the mix is very smooth. Add water, if needed, to keep sauce from sticking to the pot. Stir in cream slowly, then add sugar (or carrot), if needed. (Taste it. The sweet carrot/sugar tempers the acidic tomatoes. You'll know if you need to add sugar if the sauce is really tart.).
- Simmer the sauce a bit for the cream to become incorporated. Add water, if needed, to bring the sauce to desired consistency.