Recipe by Mirj
This is truly an amazingly delicious dessert. As my husband has been known to say, "One piece and you're in paradise, two pieces you think you've died and gone to heaven, three pieces and you throw up!"
Top Review by dale!
Well Mirj, you were right, it was a hit! Warning everyone-this is a very rich dessert, serve it in small pieces! I made this exactly to the recipe and it turned out great. The biscuits soften nicely in the cream and form a good base and the chocolate layer is very rich and absolutely delish! I sifted cocoa powder over the top for serving and it looked great. I used a rich shortbread type cookie instead of the ones specified as we can't get those ones, but I believe the cookies I used were very similar. I used kahlua as the liquer, about a quarter of a cup. Overall this was a great dessert and was well complimented by everyone I served it too. Thanks Mirjam for a fantastic recipe!
- 1 package petit beurre biscuits
- 200 g butter or 200 g margarine
- 200 g dark chocolate
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 3 tablespoons cocoa
- 1 teaspoon instant coffee
- 4 eggs, separated
- 1 dash chocolate-flavored liqueur
- 1 package instant vanilla pudding
- 2 cups whipping cream or 2 cups Rich Whip
Directions See How It's Made
- Cookie Layer: Pour the two cups of whipping cream into a bowl.
- Dip the cookies into the cream and place in one layer in a 9 X 13 inch pan.
- Set aside.
- Chocolate Layer: Melt the butter, chocolate, sugar, cocoa and instant coffee all together in the microwave, or over a small flame in a saucepan.
- Mix well.
- Remove from heat.
- Add the egg yolks one at a time to the chocolate mixture, mixing well after each yolk.
- Add the liqueur.
- Whip the egg whites until stiff and gently fold into the chocolate mixture.
- Pour over the cookie layer and refrigerate for 1 hour.
- Vanilla Layer: Whip the package of instant vanilla pudding with the cream.
- Refrigerate in a small bowl until serving time.
- Serving time-- spread the vanilla mixture over the chocolate.
- Drizzle with chocolate syrup if desired.
- Prepare yourself for compliments galore.