Recipe by Maryam al-Sayed
My husband's grandfather used to make this for him around Christmas time, but it's really good anytime it's cold out. Papa Vaughn's Thick Bread
- 2 packages white cornbread mix
- 1 1⁄4-1 1⁄2 lbs chorizo sausage or 1 1⁄4-1 1⁄2 lbs ground beef or 1 1⁄4-1 1⁄2 lbs ground lamb, browned, thoroughly drained and dried
- 1 (16 ounce) can sweet whole kernel corn, drained
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- 1 pinch onion powder
- 1 pinch garlic powder
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to temperature according to package. Prepare cornbread mix according to package directions.
- add everything but bell peppers.
- Mix thoroughly.
- Pour into greased baking dish, we usually use a 9x13x2 pan.
- Place bell peppers on top before placing in oven.
- Bake according to package directions.
- or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
- Serve hot with a glass of ice cold milk.
- This can be made into muffins instead.
- We usually serve this with chili con carne. His grandfather used to m ake it for Christmas dinner and they usually had honey baked ham.