Prep 40 mins
Cook 2 hrs
This recipe is great for Gnocci or even better when used for pizza sauce!
- 1⁄3 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 3 cloves garlic
- 1⁄2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 2 lbs extra ripe roma tomatoes or 2 (28 ounce) cans tomatoes
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 15 fresh basil leaves
- Clean, deseed, and chop Tomatoes and set aside.
- Peel, crush and finely chop garlic.
- Chop the fresh basil.
- In a large pan, over medium heat add the olive oil, garlic and red pepper flakes.
- Saute the mixture until the garlic and pepper flakes have softened.
- Do not overcook this mixture or it will make the remaining ingredients too bitter.
- Add the tomatoes and salt to the pan and let the tomatoes break down to create "juice".
- At this time, lower the temperature to medium-low, simmering uncovered for 30 minutes.
- Remove from heat and stir in the freshly chopped basil.
- Remove sauce mixture from pan and run through a food processor until smooth.
- For Gnocchi, add 1/4 cup of heavy cream to sauce and heat gently to desired serving temperature.
- For Pizza Sauce, place sauce from food processor into 13 x 9 cake pan and bake for 2 hours in a 300 degree oven.
- This will remove the excess moisture from the sauce and thicken it to pizza sauce consistency.