Prep 1 hr
Cook 1 hr
This is SUCH a yummy recipe. It was passed on to my mother-in-law from a Columbian immigrant family. It's easy, but not necessarily quick...but SO rewarding. I usually make a double batch at my house, they make great leftovers too!
- 4 -6 chicken breasts, diced
- 2 bell peppers, diced
- 1 large onion, diced
- 1 (16 ounce) can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 3 tablespoons garlic and herb seasoning
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 bunch fresh cilantro, chopped
- 12 -15 flour tortillas
- 3 cups mozzarella cheese, grated
- olive oil (as needed)
- season salt (to taste)
- Season chicken with 2 tablespoons of garlic and herb seasoning and salt.
- Cook chicken in large skillet (you may choose to use a bit of olive oil).
- Set chicken aside (you could make this ahead and refrigerate).
- In the same skillet, cook onions until tender.
- Add peppers and cook for additional 3 minutes.
- Add black beans, remaining garlic plus and fresh cilantro and mix with the chicken in a large mixing bowl.
- Assembling the quessadillas:.
- Heat a large, flat-bottom frying pan to medium high heat.
- Place a small amount of olive oil in the pan and spread it around and shake desired amount of season salt into the frying pan.
- Place one tortilla on the bottom of the pan, and add a large spoonful of chicken mixture onto one half of the tortilla.
- Spread the mixture so that it is flat and evenly distributed, and then top with a handful of cheese.
- Fold the tortilla in half.
- Place another tortilla on the other half of the pan (allowing half of it to lay on top of the first tortilla) and fill with chicken mixture and cheese and fold the tortilla in half.
- After a short while, you will need to flip the quesadillas carefully (hint, I place one on top of the other to help this process).
- If they are getting too dark, too fast, you will need to turn down the heat.
- Continue this process until all of your filling/tortillas are used up.
- You may want to put finished quesadillas in the oven to keep warm while you work.
- Serve with salsa, sour cream and guacamole.