Recipe by Iron Woman
Courtesy of Panda Management Company. Enjoy!
Top Review by Covelli
Not quite Panda, but absolutely excellent! I think they're leaving out some secret ingredient here and I'm going to keep tinkering with it until I get it! Oh and I substituted Mirin for the shaosing wine (all I could find) and the chayotes are zuccini...I already knew that b/c I always ordered the dish in CA, but wanted to put it out there for those that have never had Panda Express. Thanks for sharing this! It's a great find!!!!
- 3⁄4 lb seasoned chicken, diced
- 1⁄3 cup diced onion
- 1⁄4 cup red bell pepper, diced
- 1⁄4 cup roasted peanuts
- 8 pieces whole dried chilies
- 1⁄2 cup chayote, diced
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ginger, crushed
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garlic, crushed
- 3⁄4 tablespoon crushed red chili pepper
- 1⁄2 cup vegetable oil
- 1⁄2 teaspoon shaosing wine
- 1 teaspoon soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons chicken broth
- 1 teaspoon granulated sugar
- 1 dash sesame oil
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch, mixed with
- 2 tablespoons water
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat a pot of boiling water to cook chayote. At the same time, heat 1/4 cup of oil in wok until hot. Add chicken and stir-fry until done.
- Add onions and bell peppers and stir quickly until crisp. Remove and drain. Set aside.
- Add chayote to boiling water for 60 seconds or until crisp and done. Remove and drain; set aside.
- Heat 2 tablespoons of oil in wok until hot. Add whole dry chile peppers, garlic and ginger. Stir fry until fragrant.
- Add all remaining ingredients except cornstarch mixture.
- Bring to a boil.
- Slowly stir in cornstarch mixture.
- Add chicken and vegetables. Coat evenly with sauce.
- Add roasted peanuts. Flavor with sesame oil if desired. Remove and serve on platter.