Prep 30 mins
Cook 5 mins
I saw this in Food & Wine, it is from Mario Batali's new cookbook Italian Grill and sounds perfect for the summertime. He wraps spears in pancetta (which, unlike prosciutto, becomes nicely crispy when cooked) and grills them. Adding a bit of tanginess is the citronette, a marvelously bright-tasting mustardy-orange dressing.
- 907.18 g medium asparagus
- 226.79 g very thinly sliced pancetta
- 1 finely grated orange, juice and zest of
- 9.85 ml Dijon mustard
- 59.14 ml extra virgin olive oil
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 9.85 ml chopped thyme
- Tightly wrap each asparagus spear in a slice of pancetta and refrigerate until chilled, about 20 minutes.
- Light a grill or preheat a grill pan. In a small bowl, stir the orange zest and juice with the mustard and olive oil; season with salt and pepper. Grill the asparagus over moderate heat, turning often, until they are just tender and the pancetta is crisp, about 5 minutes total. Transfer the asparagus to a platter and drizzle with the dressing. Sprinkle with the thyme and serve.
- MAKE AHEAD The uncooked pancetta-wrapped asparagus can be covered and refrigerated overnight.