Recipe by Derf
Great crepes with spinach from French cooking by Eileen Reece.
Top Review by chia
so simple and yet so elegant and delicious thank you for this 5 star dish — Dec 12, 2002. updating my review, we chose this recipe for the crepe cook-along in the french forum yesterday. it is still delicious and is the classic way to make a great crepe filling!
- 8 ounces fresh spinach or 8 ounces frozen spinach
- 2 ounces butter
- black pepper
- grated nutmeg
- 1 ounce flour
- 1⁄2 pint hot milk
- 4 ounces grated gruyere cheese
Directions See How It's Made
- Press the cooked spinach, chop finely and toss over a medium heat for 2 or 3 minutes until dry in 1 oz butter.
- Add the seasoning and a pinch of nutmeg.
- In a second pan, melt the remaining butter, work in the flour, add milk, and cook until thick, stirring briskly.
- Add the spinach and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Remove from the heat and beat in two thirds of the cheese, correct the seasoning, put a tablespoon of filling centrally on each pancake, roll up and place in a buttered ovenproof dish.
- Cover with remaining sauce, sprinkle with remaining cheese, reheat and brown under a hot grill.