Recipe by ellie_
Quick and easy way to prepare fresh whole trout after a day of fishing. Recipe adapted from Bon Appetit (April, 1984).
Top Review by Southern Lady
DH says to add this recipe to the permanent file. I did powder the oatmeal, substituted Chef Paul's MAGIC salt free seasoning for the salt and then lightly shook Tony Chacheres creole seasoning for a little zip, used lemon pepperin lieu of reg. pepper. The fresh lemon added to the pan bits was sooooo tasty. No leftovers! Thanks for sharing Ellie2
- 1 1⁄2 cups oatmeal
- 7 tablespoons unsalted butter, plus
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 4 (8 ounce) fresh water trout, cleaned through gills
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 tablespoons corn oil
- 1⁄4 cup lemon juice
- 1 lemon, quartered for garnish (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Using a food processer or blender crumble oatmeal.
- Melt 3 tablespoons butter in skillet over medium heat.
- Pour 1/2 cup oats into pan and stir until light brown.
- Remove from heat.
- Place remaining oat crumbs on a plate or pie pan.
- Rub each trout with 1/2 teaspoon butter and sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Place fish in crumbs and coat well.
- Repeat until all fish are covered with crumbs.
- Set aside on plate.
- Melt 4 tablespoons butter and the oil in cast-iron (or other heavy) skillet over medium-high heat.
- Add trout to pan and cook about 4-6 minutes per side or until cooked to desired doneness.
- When done place fish on heated plate and keep warm.
- Pour lemon juice in skillet and stir for 1 minute, stirring up brown bits.
- Pour over trout and sprinkle with reserved brown oat crumbs.
- If desired, garnish with lemon pieces.