Recipe by Brookelynne26
copied from Jaden's Steamy Kitchen blog
Top Review by Jostlori
Yummy gnocchi and easy to make, too. This comes together so quickly, even when making your own ricotta. The lemon flavor shines through, and I really like the use of ricotta instead of potatoes. This would make an excellent little "tasting" appetizer. The gnocchi fried up nicely, but there wasn't much butter left in the pan - so next time will be using a bit more butter so there's a bit of "sauce" to drizzle over the top, as they were a bit dry. The picture on her blog shows the drizzle of sauce, and looks wonderful! Thanks for posting a recipe that I will definitely add to my rotation! Made for My 3 Chefs 2013.
- 1 cup whole milk ricotta cheese
- 1⁄2 cup freshly grated parmesan cheese (plus extra reserved for garnishing)
- 1 large egg yolk
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest (use a microplane grater, plus extra reserved for garnishing)
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt (or 1/2 tsp table salt)
- 3⁄4 cup all-purpose flour, sifted
- 1 tablespoon chopped parsley (plus extra reserved for garnishing)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon finely minced fresh chili pepper (or red pepper flakes)
- 2 tablespoons clarified butter (or just regular butter, but the clarified butter works much better)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
Directions See How It's Made
- Combine ricotta, parmagiano, yolk, zest and salt in large bowl. Mix well. Sprinkle half of the flour on the mixture, gently turn with spatula a few times to incorporate. Dump mixture on clean, lightly floured countertop. Sprinkle remaining flour on top of the mixture. Gently knead with your fingertips, just bringing together the mixture until flour is incorporated through. This only should take a minute or two. Any longer and you will be over-kneading. *If you are using skim milk ricotta - you may have to use more flour, as there is more water content in skim ricotta.
- Divide dough into 4 parts. Take one part and roll into a long, 1″ diameter log. Cut gnocchi into 1″ pieces. You may use the tines of a fork to get those pretty grooves that will eventually disappear after frying anyways.
- Heat skillet over medium-high heat. Add butter and olive oil. when butter is just lightly browned, add gnocchi in single layer. Fry on one side for 2 minutes, flip. Add chilli. Fry other side for 1-2 minutes. Timing really depends on how big/thick your gnocchi is. Do a taste test - do you taste flour? Not done yet. Serve with a sprinkling of lemon zest, parmegiano and parsley.