Pan-Fried Gnocchi With Bacon, Onions, & Peas
photo by Linajjac
- Ready In:
- kosher salt
- 1 lb gnocchi, frozen
- 3 ounces bacon, cut into 1/2 inch wide pieces (about 3 slices)
- 4 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 yellow onions, thinly sliced (medium-small to yield about 2 cups)
- 1⁄2 cup frozen peas
- 1 teaspoon fresh thyme, minced
- fresh ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons parmigiano-reggiano cheese, plus more for serving
- Bring a large saucepan of salted water to boil.
- Cook the gnocchi according to package directions.
- Reserve 1/2 cup of the cooking water and drain.
- Meanwhile, in a large nonstick skillet, cook the bacon over medium heat until crispy on both sides, about 5 minutes.
- Transfer to a plate lined with paper towels and set aside. Pour off any fat from the skillet.
- In the same skillet, heat 2 tablespoons of the oil over medium-high heat.
- Add the onions and cook until they begin to brown, 3 to 5 minutes.
- Reduce the heat to medium and continue to cook, stirring occasionally, until the onions are limp and golden brown, 10 more minutes.
- Stir in the peas and thyme, season with salt and pepper to taste, and transfer to a small bowl.
- Wipe the skillet clean with a paper towel, and heat the remaining 2 tablespoons oil over medium-high heat.
- Add the gnocchi and cook, tossing occasionally, until they are lightly browned, about 5 minutes.
- Gently stir in the onion mixture, bacon, and Parmigiano, along with enough of the reserved cooking water to moisten and coat the gnocchi, about 4 tablespoons.
- Serve immediately, sprinkled with additional Parmigiano.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Very easy to make with simple ingredients that I always have on hand. Struggled slightly with the gnocchi sticking to the pan but just added a bit more oil to fix this. I didn't have any thyme so used some beautiful basil that I had growing in my garden. Made a great Sunday evening dinner, thank you.