Prep 1 hr
Cook 30 mins
I started making this recipe years ago with just ground beef and decided to try it with italian sausage one day and it was such a hit that I continued with the updated recipe.
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 lb Italian sausage (I use Bob Evans)
- 2 (32 ounce) jars spaghetti sauce
- 1 (8 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 3 teaspoons italian seasoning (approx.)
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 3 cups mozzarella cheese (divided)
- 1 cup ricotta cheese
- 1 cup parmesan cheese
- 1 egg
- 1 (16 ounce) box lasagna noodles
- Brown ground beef and sausage together and drain (I also rinse with water to wash away some the fat).
- Put meat in food processor and pulse until it is fine and no chunks of meat left.
- Put in pot and add spaghetti sauce, tomato sauce, seasoning and sugar. Let simmer while noodles are cooking.
- Mix cheeses together using 2 cups of mozzarella with all of the ricotta and parmesan cheese. Mix in the egg.
- When ready to assemble, put some sauce in the bottom of a 9 x 13 pan and then start layering the noodles, cheese mixture and sauce. There should be three layers of 4 noodles and you should end with sauce. Sprinkle with the remaining cup of mozz. cheese. The pan will be full.
- Bake in 350 degree oven for 30-45 minutes. Cover dish with foil for the first 15 minutes so cheese will not get too brown.
- When done, let set for 5-10 minutes before cutting.
- You can prepare this the day before and put it in the refrigerator. Bake the next day and Enjoy!
Very good but I made a few changes by using some sauce w/meatballs we had last week and keeping the sausage in chunks. The Italian seasongi I used was basil. Thanks for sharing!