Bint e Naeem's Note:
After so many try outs I finally came with the right fusion for this recipe. Pulao is one of Punjabi people's favorite dish. Its a must serve on all occasions in Pakistan's Punjab province. If you don't want the Karachi style you can omit tomatoes, anise seeds and fresh mint.
My Private Note
3/4 cup ...
Units: US | Metric
- 2 cups basmati rice (soaked in water for at least half an hour)
For Yakhni (stock)
- 1 lb chicken (cut into pieces) or 1 lb mutton (cut into pieces)
- 3 cups water
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 medium onion (peeled & cut in two pieces)
- 1/2 teaspoon clove (laung)
- 1/2 teaspoon whole black peppercorn (sabut kali mirch)
- 2 black cardamom pods (bari elaichi)
- 2 cinnamon sticks (dalchini)
- 1 bay leaf (tez patta)
- 6 garlic cloves (Lehsan)
- 2 inches ginger (adrak)
- 1 teaspoon coriander seed (sukha dhaniya)
- 1 pinch ground nutmeg (jaifal)
- 1/4 teaspoon anise (javetri)
For Masala (curry)
- 1/4 cup oil
- 1/4 medium onion (thinly sliced)
- 1 teaspoon cumin seed (zeera)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ginger-garlic paste
- 1/2 medium tomato (chopped)
- 1/2 cup yogurt
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon red chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon coriander powder
- 1 teaspoon garam masala powder
- 2 green cardamoms (choti elaichi)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground aniseed (saunf)
- 1 tablespoon mint leaf (chopped)
- 1Mix all ingredients for yakhni. Bring them to a boil & let them boil on medium high heat for 20 minutes or till the chicken gets tender. Strain the yakhni only leaving the chicken in it.
- 2In a pan heat oil. Add sliced onions & fry the onions till they turn golden brown. Take 1/4 out of it & keep aside.
- 3Now add cumin seeds (zeera), ginger garlic paste, tomatoes, salt, red chilly powder & coriander powder to the remaining fried onions & stir fry for 3 minutes.
- 4Next add yogurt, garam masala and green cardamom (choti elaichi). Cook on medium high heat till the tomatoes get tender.
- 5Add anise seed (saunf) & chicken pieces to the masala & let it simmer for another 2 minutes.
- 6Finally pour the masala in the yakhni, already back in the cooking pot. Add rice & cook it uncovered on high heat for 5 minutes or till the water dries up.
- 7Sprinkle the fried onions & mint leaves. Close the pot by tightly covering the pot with foil just where the lid goes making sure no steam passes out. Cook on low heat for 15 minutes or till the rice is done.
- 8Enjoy with chutney or cucember raita.
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Pakistani Punjabi/Karachi Style Yakhni Pulao (Chicken Stock Pila
Serving Size: 1 (241 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 375.9
- Calories from Fat 157
- Total Fat 17.4 g
- Saturated Fat 3.9 g
- Cholesterol 44.5 mg
- Sodium 639.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 39.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.2 g
- Sugars 1.8 g
- Protein 15.2 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
black cardamom pods