Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 1 hr
Cook 45 mins
From Paula Deen. It's killer.
Make and share this Oyster Dressing to Die For recipe from Food.com.
- 1 cup self-rising cornmeal
- 1⁄2 cup self-rising flour
- 3⁄4 cup buttermilk
- 2 eggs
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 7 slices white bread, dried in oven
- 2 cups broken up saltine crackers
- 2 cups chopped celery
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 8 tablespoons butter
- 7 cups chicken stock
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon dried sage
- 1 tablespoon poultry seasoning
- 5 eggs, beaten
- 2 pints oysters, drained
- Preheat oven to 350°F To make cornbread, combine first 5 ingredients and pour into a greased shallow baking dish. Bake for 20-25 minutes. Remove from oven and cool.
- To make dressing, crumble dried white bread slices, cornbread, and crackers. Mix together and set aside.
- Sauté chopped celery and onion in butter until transparent, approximately 5-10 minutes. Pour over corn bread mixture. Add stock, mix well and add salt, pepper, sage, and poultry seasoning. Add beaten eggs and mix well. Add oysters and mix.
- Pour into a greased pan. Bake for about 45 minutes.
We used 6 cups of broth, and it took much longer to cook... BUT WELL WORTH IT FANTASTIC!!!
I've been trying to make dressing for 30 years and this is perfection! I will never look for another recipe. Thanks so much!
This dressing is very good. Liked using the crackers in it. Will make again soon. Thanks for posting.