Prep 45 mins
Cook 35 mins
I love a good oven-roasted tomato, and stuffing them with creamy goat cheese and herbs takes them to the next level. Good as an appetizer or side dish!
- 12 medium tomatoes
- 1 2⁄3 lbs fresh goat cheese
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoons basil, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
- 1⁄4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 -2 tablespoon balsamic vinegar, good quality
- Preheat the oven to 425°. Slice off the top 1/2 inch of each tomato and reserve the tops. Scoop out the tomato cores and seeds. Cut a very thin sliver off of the bottom of each tomato to help them stand up straight. Arrange the tomatoes in a 9-by-13-inch glass or ceramic baking dish.
- In a bowl, combine the goat cheese with the egg, garlic, basil, salt, pepper, and 2 tablespoons of the olive oil. Spoon the goat cheese mixture into the tomatoes, mounding the filling 1/2 inch above the rim. Cover with the tomato tops and drizzle with the remaining 2 tablespoons of olive oil.
- Bake the tomatoes for 35 minutes, until tender and browned in spots and the cheese is hot. Let stand for 15 minutes. Drizzle each with a bit of the balsamic. Serve warm or at room temperature.