1/2 Photos of Oven-rack Baked Potatoes
William (Uncle Bill) Anatooskin's Note:
These sliced potatoes are so very simple to make and extremely tasty. This recipe originated with my Russian grandmother over 100 years ago, however, they baked them in an outside oven as they did not have the modern facilities of today.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Preheat oven to 450 F degrees.
- 2If you are using young potatoes or potatoes with a clean skin, DO NOT PEEL, just scrub well; otherwise peel potatoes.
- 3Slice potatoes lengthwise to about 1/2 inch thick slices.
- 4Place in a large bowl; cover with cold water and let sit for about 5 minutes.
- 5Drain and pat slices dry with paper towelling.
- 6DO NOT RUB POTATOES WITH ANY OILS OR BUTTER.
- 7Place directly on middle rack in oven and bake for 20 minutes in preheated 450 F oven.
- 8Turn potatoes over and continue to bake for an additional 15 minutes or until cooked.
- 9Remove potatoes into a large bowl.
- 10Drizzle melted butter or margarine over potatoes; gently turn slices to coat.
- 11Serve with additional melted butter or margarine, a dollop of yogurt or sour cream and a sprinkling of chopped green onions or chives.
- 12If desired, you may wish to sprinkle sliced potatoes before baking with garlic powder or your choice of a spice.
- 13The slices will puff up and turn a nice medium-dark brown when baked.
Browse Our Top Potato Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Oven-rack Baked Potatoes
Serving Size: 1 (269 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 346.2
- Calories from Fat 58
- Total Fat 6.5 g
- Saturated Fat 1.6 g
- Cholesterol 1.9 mg
- Sodium 96.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 65.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 8.2 g
- Sugars 3.7 g
- Protein 8.1 g