Prep 10 mins
Cook 35 mins
These sliced potatoes are so very simple to make and extremely tasty. This recipe originated with my Russian grandmother over 100 years ago, however, they baked them in an outside oven as they did not have the modern facilities of today.
- 4 large potatoes, peeled
- 1⁄4 cup margarine or 1⁄4 cup butter, melted
- 1⁄4 cup plain yogurt or 1⁄4 cup sour cream
- 1⁄4 cup finely chopped green onions or 1⁄4 cup finely chopped chives
- Preheat oven to 450 F degrees.
- If you are using young potatoes or potatoes with a clean skin, DO NOT PEEL, just scrub well; otherwise peel potatoes.
- Slice potatoes lengthwise to about 1/2 inch thick slices.
- Place in a large bowl; cover with cold water and let sit for about 5 minutes.
- Drain and pat slices dry with paper towelling.
- DO NOT RUB POTATOES WITH ANY OILS OR BUTTER.
- Place directly on middle rack in oven and bake for 20 minutes in preheated 450 F oven.
- Turn potatoes over and continue to bake for an additional 15 minutes or until cooked.
- Remove potatoes into a large bowl.
- Drizzle melted butter or margarine over potatoes; gently turn slices to coat.
- Serve with additional melted butter or margarine, a dollop of yogurt or sour cream and a sprinkling of chopped green onions or chives.
- If desired, you may wish to sprinkle sliced potatoes before baking with garlic powder or your choice of a spice.
- The slices will puff up and turn a nice medium-dark brown when baked.
These were delicious. And not only were they delicious, they were easy to make. My daughters loved them... that says alot! Thanks Uncle Bill
So simple and so good. I have served them with thick Greek yoghurt. Thanks Uncle Bill.
i made these vegan style with tofutti sour cream& earth balance butter. they were delicious! thanks so much for a great recipe!