Prep 20 mins
Cook 20 mins
- 1 lb lean ground beef
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 1 (1 1/4 ounce) package taco seasoning
- 1 1⁄2 cups refried beans (can use more)
- 1 (16 ounce) jar salsa (mild or spicy)
- 1 1⁄2 cups grated cheddar cheese, divided
- seasoning salt
- black pepper
- tortilla chips (use any amount desired)
- 1 cup sour cream (can use more)
- 3 -4 green onions, chopped (can use more)
- 2 large firm plum tomatoes, finely chopped
- shredded lettuce
- sliced black olives
- In a large skillet cook the ground beef with onions; cook stirring until meat is no longer pink. Drain all fat well. Continue to cook until the meat is well browned, about 4-5 minutes longer. Pour contents of taco seasoning pack into meat and add water as directed on the package. Continue to cook according to package directions.
- Add in the refried beans and salsa. Cook, stirring occasionally, until heated through.
- Add in 3/4 cup grated cheddar cheese; stir until melted.
- Place the tortilla chips on a large serving platter.
- Top with ground beef mixture, then sprinkle the top of the HOT ground beef mixture with about 1-1/2 cups (or to taste) grated cheddar cheese.
- Top with sour cream, green onions, chopped tomatoes, shredded lettuce, and sliced black olives.
- Serve hot or warm.
We all enjoyed these. I made these as written and left the topping on the side so everyone could top theirs how they liked.