Recipe by Brian Holley
A Madras version of Tandoori chicken. The chicken is marinated in a spice mix for a few hours and then cooked in the oven. This is delicious.
- 3 lbs skinless chicken, and jointed
- 1 lb onion, sliced
- 4 ounces ghee
- 1⁄4 pint plain yogurt
- 1 inch cinnamon stick
- 2 cardamom pods
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon chili powder
- 2 green chilies
- 1⁄2 ounce fresh coriander leaves
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 2 teaspoons fresh coconut, shredded
Directions See How It's Made
- Fry the onions in the butter till golden and remove from the pan, drain them but save the cooking fat. turn of the cooker.
- Put 3/4 of the onions in a blender and process them with all of the ingredient EXCEPT FOR THE CHICKEN.
- With a fork, prick the chicken all over and rub the spiced onion mixture into the flesh (yes use your hands or get the kids to do it). Set aside for a couple of hours to allow the flavour to develop in the meat.
- Pre-heat the oven to 350°F, arrange the chicken on a roasting dish, pour the drained fat over the chicken, arrange the remaining onions on top of the meat and cook for 1 hour.