Prep 15 mins
Cook 72 hrs
This is from the LA Times Cookbook. It's one of those winter comfort foods. I have always made it in the oven, but I don't see why you couldn't use a crockpot instead. Enjoy!
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 2 lbs beef round steak, cut into 1 1/2 inch cubes
- 4 medium carrots, peeled and cut into chunks
- 2 large onions, sliced
- 1 cup thinly sliced celery
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground marjoram
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground thyme
- 1 cup dry red wine
- 1 cup sliced mushrooms
- Blend soy sauce and flour in a 2 1/2-3 quart baking dish.
- Add beef to soy sauce mixture and toss to coat meat.
- Add carrots, onion, celery, garlic, pepper, marjoram, thyme, and wine to meat.
- Stir gently to mix.
- Cover tightly and bake at 325 degrees for one hour.
- Add mushrooms, stir gently, and bake 1 1/2-2 hours longer, or until meat and vegetables are tender.
- Serve with rice, noodles, or potatoes.
This is much like our family recipe that uses Kitchen Bouquet and a little cream of rice (or baby rice cereal if I can't find the other) instead of the soy sauce, which makes it less salty. It's always a hit and we have had guests reach into the dish and fork another bite! It's that good.