This recipe makes perfect rice every time, simply because the temptation to stir isn't there. This foolproof rice goes well with roasted chicken or broiled fish. I sometimes like to add a 1/2 cup of shredded carrots in addition to the onion to give it a flash of color.
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- In a medium stovetop-to-oven pot melt butter or olive oil over medium heat.
- Add chopped onions and cook 3 to 5 minutes, stirring until softened.
- Add rice and stir until well coated.
- Add chicken or vegetable stock, salt and pepper to taste.
- Bring to a boil.
- Cover and bake until the rice is tender and the stock is absorbed, about 20 to 25 minutes.
- Let stand, covered for 5 minutes before serving.
Fantastic rice! My 8 year old son usually hates rice but he said he really liked THIS rice. (Don't tell him it has onions in it!) The rest of the family enjoyed it too. I made it just as described; it was done after 23 minutes.
Thanks for a great new and different way to make delicious rice!
Perfect rice! The recipe doubled nicely and was used as a base for Roasted Vegetables With Chickpeas. I can see me making this again.
Simple and so good. I used butter and a medium onion. The rice was perfect. Thanks Carla :) Made for Name that ingredient tag game