Prep 5 mins
Cook 25 mins
This recipe makes perfect rice every time, simply because the temptation to stir isn't there. This foolproof rice goes well with roasted chicken or broiled fish. I sometimes like to add a 1/2 cup of shredded carrots in addition to the onion to give it a flash of color.
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- In a medium stovetop-to-oven pot melt butter or olive oil over medium heat.
- Add chopped onions and cook 3 to 5 minutes, stirring until softened.
- Add rice and stir until well coated.
- Add chicken or vegetable stock, salt and pepper to taste.
- Bring to a boil.
- Cover and bake until the rice is tender and the stock is absorbed, about 20 to 25 minutes.
- Let stand, covered for 5 minutes before serving.
Fantastic rice! My 8 year old son usually hates rice but he said he really liked THIS rice. (Don't tell him it has onions in it!) The rest of the family enjoyed it too. I made it just as described; it was done after 23 minutes.
Thanks for a great new and different way to make delicious rice!
Perfect rice! The recipe doubled nicely and was used as a base for Roasted Vegetables With Chickpeas. I can see me making this again.
While this may be tasty, all you've done with this recipe is complicate the rice making process. Is it Oven Baked Rice, Stove Top Rice OR Stove Top Started - Oven Finished Rice???