Prep 15 mins
Cook 12 mins
I can't remember where I got this recipe but I've been making it for several years now. This is real easy to make.
- 1⁄2 cup sliced almonds
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 tablespoon instant minced onion
- 2 lbs catfish fillets
- 1 egg
- 1⁄2 cup milk
- 1 teaspoon cajun spices
- 1⁄4 cup butter, melted
- 1 cup dry breadcrumbs (unseasoned)
- Set oven rack slightly above the middle of the oven and preheat to 500.
- Cut the catfish fillets into serving size pieces.
- Place the milk in a bowl and whisk the egg into it.
- Add the Cajun spice, minced onion and black pepper to the milk/egg mixture.
- In a separate flat dish, mix the bread crumbs and the sliced almonds. Dip the fish pieces into the seasoned egg wash, then coat them with bread crumb/almond mixture.
- Place the coated catfish fillets on a well greased (olive oil or similar oil) flat baking pan.
- Pour the melted butter evenly over the fillets.
- Place the baking pan on rack and bake for 10-12 min or until fish flakes easily. It is better not to over-cook fish.
I used tilapia instead of catfish, because I prefer the taste. (Unless its deep fried....love deep fried catfish!) I loved the end result, the fish was golden brown, and nice and flaky on the inside. The almonds were excellent, and made the dish. The milk mix gave the fish a bit of flavor as well. I found that although the bread crumbs adhered easily to the fish, the almonds didn't. So I plucked them out of the bread mixture and placed them strategically on top of the fish. Very enjoyable lunch for me today!! Thanks for sharing....made for Photo Tag 2013.