Recipe by bluemoon downunder
One of several recipes which were part of an article about using ouzo as an ingredient in Greek recipes, from the October 2005 issue of the cooking magazine 'Australian Good Taste', posted for the 2005 Zaar World Tour. I have posted the other recipes separately: Chocolate Bullets, Cinnamon & Ouzo Iced Tea, and Watermelon & Feta Salad With Ouzo Dressing.
Top Review by Charlotte J
WOW, this was excellent! The Ouzo compliments the cherries nicely. I did not drain cherries but cooked longer to reduce the extra juice. We did not use the ice cream as I made these for breakfast this morning. I will be making this again. Thank you for posting the recipe. Made for *Zaar Tag 2008* game
- 1⁄2 cup caster sugar
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 1 (300 g) packet frozen cherries, thawed on paper toweling
- 1 sprig of fresh mint
- 2 tablespoons ouzo
- 2 (180 g) packetsround waffles
- vanilla ice cream, to serve
Directions See How It's Made
- Place the sugar and water in a medium saucepan over a low heat and, stirring, cook for 3-4 minutes or until the sugar dissolves; increase the heat to high and bring to the boil; add the cherries, mint and ouzo; reduce the heat and simmer, stirring occasionally, for 5-6 minutes or until the syrup thickens slightly; remove the mint sprig and discard.
- Warm the waffles in a toaster, divide the waffles among serving plates, top with ice cream and spoon over the cherries and syrup and serve immediately.