Prep 10 mins
Cook 25 mins
A Cajun-inspired dish by Chef Jimmy Bannos of the famous Heaven on Seven in Chicago, IL.
- 3 (4 ounce) boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 1 1⁄4 teaspoons cajun seasoning, divided
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons extra virgin olive oil
- 6 ounces andouille sausages, cut into 1/4-inch slices
- 2 tablespoons tasso, finely diced
- 2 tablespoons smoked pork shoulder, finely shredded
- 1⁄4 cup green bell pepper, seeded, finely diced
- 1⁄2 cup celery, finely diced
- 1⁄2 cup scallion, thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons yellow onions, finely diced
- 2 tablespoons red onions, finely diced
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons jalapenos, seeded and minced
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 1⁄2 cups plum tomatoes, seeded and diced
- 1 teaspoon roasted garlic paste
- 6 ounces small shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 8 ounces dried orzo pasta, cooked according to package directions
- 1 1⁄2 cups chicken stock
- 1⁄4 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1⁄4 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
- 1⁄8 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1⁄8 teaspoon white pepper
- 1⁄8 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- freshly grated parmesan cheese
- Season chicken with 1/4 teaspoon Cajun seasoning. Melt butter and oil in large non-stick saute pan over high heat.
- Add andouille; saute 2 minutes. Add seasoned chicken; cook additional 4 minutes, stirring frequently so chicken does not stick to pan.
- Reduce heat to medium-high; stir in ham, pork, bell pepper, celery, (green, yellow and red) scallions, onions, jalapeno and bay leaf; saute for 3 more minutes.
- Add tomatoes, garlic puree, and remaining 1 teaspoon Cajun seasoning; continue cooking for 6 minutes, stirring occasionally, until vegetables are soft. Stir in shrimp; cook for 2 more minutes.
- Stir cooked orzo into mixture; pour in chicken stock. Add Worcestershire and hot pepper sauce, ground black and white peppers, and red pepper flakes. Bring to simmer; cook for 3 minutes.
- Remove bay leaf. Serve on plates; top with cheese to taste.