Recipe by Chabear01
This recipe is posted for ZWT II - Asia taken from an Asian Food web site. The vanilla in this recipe can be substituted with lemon essence or peppermint.
Top Review by Khristina Sunga Vaughn
This is the closest to my Tita Garnette's recipe I have seen. All the ingredients are basically the same and in the same proportion. The biggest thing I do differently is that I hand stir the custard mix and I do it very gently. I avoid frothy bubbles as much as possible. I also pour the custard mix through a strainer as it goes into the pan. This is the trick to make a very creamy flan. Air bubbles will change the texture and mouth feel of the flan.
- 236.59 ml sugar
- 236.59 ml water
- 12 egg yolks
- 396.89 g can condensed milk
- 473.19 ml milk
- 14.79 ml vanilla
Directions See How It's Made
- Put sugar and water in a saucepan. Caramelize on high heat. Line loaf tin with caramel. Be sure to line the sides of the pan.
- Blend all ingredients in a blender. Pour mixture into caramel lined loaf pan.
- Cover with aluminum foil. Place tin in a larger baking pan half filled with water. Place pan in pre-heated oven at 375 degrees, and bake flan for about 1 hour or until firm.
- Place serving dish over top of loaf pan, and invert. Flan will easily plate, and the caramel provides a wonderful sauce.