1/1 Photo of Organic Meal Replacement Shake (With Chia Seeds)
I have been trying, unsuccessfully, to find a "healthy" commercial, meal replacement, that doesn't have artificial sweeteners and/or sugar alcohols (like Xylitol, Manitol, Stevia, etc), which give me migraines. I have MCS (Multiple Chemical Sensitivity), and must avoid ALL chemicals, so organic is a must, for me. Each time I find a shake, I think I can use and recommend to friends, I look closer, and find something in it that won't work. Add to that, the fact that they are all very expensive, and I finally decided to make my own. Here is the result of my search.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1/4 cup pre-hydrated chia seeds (or 1 tablespoon dried, ** See below for instructions & nutritional information)
- 1 tablespoon dry whole grain, uncooked, hot cereal (i.e. Wheatena, Country Spice-with Flax Seed, Soy & Wheat, or Organic Old Fashioned Oats)
- 1 teaspoon organic coconut oil
- 1/4 teaspoon organic flax seed oil
- 1 tablespoon organic sesame seeds
- 6 frozen organic strawberries or 6 equivalent of frozen berries
- 1 small banana
- 8 ounces almond milk (Diamond Brand, Original) or 8 ounces hazelnut milk
- 1 tablespoon agave syrup (Adjust to taste)
- 2 tablespoons liquid, multi-vitamin (optional)
- 2 ice cubes
- 1Place all ingredients in blender container (with lid).
- 2Blend on high speed until berries and ice are chopped - at least 30 seconds.
- 3** Chia Seeds expand to 3-4 times their original volume. To hydrate Chia Seeds, place 6 level tablespoons of dry Chia Seeds in a 3 or 4 cup glass container, with a lid (the glass eliminates potential of plastic molecules getting into food), and add 2 cups filtered water. Stores in refrigerator for several days. Can be added to many different foods for added moisture and texture. Try adding several tablespoons to cake batter, for extra moisture, or soup for thickening, texture and added nutrition. Flavor will not be affected by Chia Seeds.
- 4*** CHIA SEEDS : Calories: 69, Fat: 4.35 gm, Sodium: 2.69 mg, Carbs: 6.35, Dietary Fiber: 5.34, Protein: 2.21 gm, Calcium: 89.5 mg. Chia Seeds are loaded with nutrition.
- 5ALMOND MILK: Calories: 60, Fat: 2.5 gm, Sodium 150 mg, Potassium: 180 mg, Carbs: 8 gm, Dietary Fiber: 1 mg, Protein: 1 gm.
- 6AGAVE: Calories: 45, Fat: 0, Sodium: 0, Carbs: 11, Glycemic Index (on a 0-100 Scale - extremely low): 27, Protein: 0 Great for Diabetics - minimal effect on blood sugar levels.
- 7DRY OLD FASHION ROLLED OATS - 1 tablespoons : Calories: 19, Fat: 0.38 gm, Sodium: 0 gm, Carbs: 4, Dietary Fiber: 0.5, Protein: 1 gm.
Browse Our Top Breakfast Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Breakfast Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Organic Meal Replacement Shake (With Chia Seeds)
Serving Size: 1 (230 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 213.3
- Calories from Fat 95
- Total Fat 10.6 g
- Saturated Fat 4.7 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 3.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 30.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 5.1 g
- Sugars 15.7 g
- Protein 3.1 g
The following items or measurements are not included: