Prep 30 mins
Cook 30 mins
Taken from Food Network Magazine with adjustments to suit tastes.
- 12 ounces orecchiette, cooked
- 8 ounces fresh chorizo sausage, mild or 8 ounces spicy sausage, casings removed
- 3 green onions, thinly sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, sliced thinly
- 8 ounces cremini mushrooms, sliced
- salt and pepper
- 3 tomatoes, skins removed, seeded and diced
- 1⁄2 cup low sodium chicken broth
- 1⁄2 cup grated parmesan cheese, plus more for serving
- Bring large pot of salted water to a boil. Add pasta and cook according to package direction.
- Meanwhile heat a large non stick pan to medium.
- Add the broken up sausage and saute until no longer pink.
- Add the mushrooms/garlic and continue to cook until mushrooms have reduced in size.
- Add most of green onions and cook until limp. Reserving some for garnish.
- Add the chicken stock and cook for another 3 minutes.
- Add tomatoes, seasonings to taste and continue cooking for anther 3 minutes.
- Reserve 1/2 cup pasta cooking water and drain the pasta.
- Return to pot and combine the pasta/pasta water with the meat mixture along with the cheese.
- Divide into dishes and serve with additional cheese/green onions as garnish.
"EXCELLENT COMBINATION OF INGREDIENTS" I made as written using Andouille sausage, great depth of flavors, just the right amount of heat and wonderful texture with the mushrooms, diced tomatoes and green onions blending in with the orecchiette and Parmesan cheese. I didn't need the pasta water as the chicken broth was the correct amount of moisture for this delicious meal. Thanks for posting, a keeper and this goes into my "Best of 2012 Cookbook" Made for Spring 2012 Photo Tag.
Wonderful! I used Conecuh Smoked Sausage and corkscrew pasta, since I couldn't find Orecchiette. I used roma tomatoes, and think I should have used larger tomatoes, as I didn't have quite enough tomato. My fault though, not the recipe. I loved the combination of flavors.....the pasta soaked up so much of the flavors it was just wonderful. Thanks for sharing Lori! Made for Holiday tag.