Prep 0 mins
Cook 45 mins
Published in Food & Wine January 1997
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 onions, quartered and cut into thin slices
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breasts (about 1 1/3 lb)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 3⁄4 teaspoon dried rosemary, crumbled or 2 teaspoons chopped fresh rosemary
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1⁄2 lb orecchiette
- 2 ounces blue cheese, crumbled (about 1/2 cup)
- In a large nonstick frying pan, melt the butter with 2 tablespoons of oil over moderately high heat. Add the onions and 1/2 teaspoon of the salt and cook, stirring frequently, until well browned, about 25 minutes. Remove.
- Add the remaining 1 tablespoon oil to the pan and reduce the heat to moderate. Season the chicken with 1/4 teaspoon of the salt and 1/8 teaspoon of the pepper and add to the pan along with the rosemary. Cook the chicken until brown, about 5 minutes. Turn and cook until almost done, about 3 minutes longer. Add the garlic. Cook, stirring, for 30 seconds. Cover the pan, remove from the heat, and let steam for 5 minutes. Cut the chicken into 1/4-inch slices.
- Meanwhile, in a large pot of boiling, salted water, cook the orecchiette until just done, about 15 minutes. Reserve about 1/4 cup of the pasta water. Drain the pasta and toss with 2 tablespoons of the pasta water, the onions, the chicken with pan juices, the blue cheese, and the remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt and 1/8 teaspoon pepper. If the pasta seems dry, add more of the reserved pasta water.
Takes a bit of time to make, but it's actually quite easy.
If you have a big stove, you should be able to speed the process up a bit.
As to taste, i wasn't quite sure what to expect. But, it is great!
Aside from using less fat, I followed the recipe as written. Both my husband and I really enjoyed it and will make it again soon. Such good flavor and creaminess. We did not miss the extra fat at all. I barely used `/2 T of oil to carmelize onions and another half to brown the chicken and that was all I used for the entire dish