Recipe by Charishma_Ramchandani
This is one of my favourite ways to cook and serve rice at parties. I had come across this recipe in the Thursday magazine where it was submitted b Madhulika Mohta and won the Recipe of the week prize too. This rice can be cooked in a pressure cooker. All you have to do is put everything together and allow it to cook until you hear 1 1/2 whistles. You may also make this in advance if you have to cook alot of food and then just microwave this before you serve it. It must be served HOT! Enjoy!
- 6 large oranges
- 1 cup long-grain rice, washed and soaked in water for 30 minutes
- 4 teaspoons sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon red chili powder
- 4 cloves, crushed
- 2 pinches cardamom powder
- 2 pinches cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon chopped pistachios, slivered
- 1 tablespoon ghee
Directions See How It's Made
- Reserving the tops of 4 oranges, cut them about 1 inch from the top.
- Scoop out the flesh of the oranges. Now keep aside the 4 hollow oranges.
- Now, coarsely grate the zest(outerside) of 1 orange and keep aside.
- The second remaining orange peel must be cut in a spiral shape and kept aside for garnishing.
- Then extract the juice from the pulp of all the 6 oranges as this would be more than enough to cook the rice.
- Put ghee in a rice cooker and allow it to heat for about 35 seconds.
- Add the spices and stir-fry for 30 seconds.
- Fold in the rice, sugar, salt and orange zest.
- Stir in the orange juice.
- Switch the device to "cook".
- Once the rice has been cooked, fluff it with a fork and fill into the hollowed oranges.
- Put a whole pistachio on top of each orange.
- Then put the orange tops back on.
- Garnish with the orange peel spiral.
- Let each guest now help himself to an orange!
- Enjoy and keep smiling because that's the secret to a healthy digestion in my personal opinion :-).