Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
My mom found this recipe in a newspaper years ago. It's been adapted by her and by me to suit our different tastes. We've taken to calling it "Orange Soup" over the years because of the color the soup turns after adding the tomatoes. The difference is the Spike seasoning. Add it to your taste (we use the salt-free). Prep time is a guess, as I usually do it ahead of time in different stages.
- In a large cooking pot or Dutch oven over medium heat, heat oil, melt butter and stir in flour. Gradually add water and stir until well combined.
- In a skillet, brown ground beef. Drain fat and add beef to butter and flour mixture.
- In a medium saucepan, saute onions, carrots and celery in vegetable oil until barely tender. Add to cooking pot. Stir in frozen vegetables, tomatoes, Spike, black pepper, and salt.
- Bring to a boil, reduce heat, and simmer for 30-45 minutes.
- For less clean-up, you could do all the steps in the same pan (but obviously that would take longer).