Prep 50 mins
Cook 12 mins
- 1⁄2 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 1⁄4 cup superfine sugar
- 1 teaspoon finely grated fresh orange zest
- 1⁄8 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon coarse sugar (optional)
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Blend together butter, superfine sugar, zest, and salt in a bowl with a fork.
- Sift flour into butter mixture and blend with fork until mixture forms a soft dough.
- Transfer dough to an ungreased large baking sheet and pat into a 10- by 5-inch rectangle.
- Prick dough all over with fork and sprinkle with coarse sugar (if using), pressing it gently into dough with your fingertips to adhere.
- Score dough crosswise with back of a knife into 6 rectangles (do not cut all the way through), then score each rectangle into 2 triangles.
- Bake shortbread in middle of oven until edges are golden but center is pale, 12 to 17 minutes.
- Cool on baking sheet on a rack 10 minutes, then cut into 12 triangles along scored lines while still warm.
- Transfer triangles with a long spatula to a rack to cool completely.
- Notes: Shortbread can be made 3 days ahead and kept in an airtight container at room temperature.
- Shortbread keeps 1 week.
i made these to take to a baby shower today. i wish i could tell you how good they were but by the time i got to the dessert table they were gone-- everyone loved them. thanks for making me look good bev:)