Recipe by batifol
This light, fruity, nutty salad is a nice change from potato or pasta salad as a barbecue side dish and is always popular at potlucks. I got it from the Silver Palate Cookbook.
Top Review by Mirj
I was up at 5 in the morning and decided to make this to take to lunch in the office today. I think I'm in love. I used a coarse bulgar, but it was ready in about 20 minutes. Instead of currants I used craisins, and tossed in some chopped coriander along with the parsley. Lunch is three hours away, but I keep sneaking into the breakroom to have another taste, and another....
- 4 cups water
- 2 cups bulgur
- 1 cup dried currant
- 1 cup pecans, chopped
- 1⁄4 cup chopped Italian parsley
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 medium orange zest, grated
- salt, to taste
- pepper, to taste
Directions See How It's Made
- Combine water and bulgur (cracked wheat) in a saucepan.
- Bring to a boil, reduce heat, and simmer, covered, until the water is absorbed and the wheat is tender.
- This can take as long as 40 minutes, but may be much less depending on the grind of bulgur.
- Refrigerate the wheat until cool.
- Add currants, pecans, orange zest, parsley, olive oil, salt, and pepper.
- Stir to mix thoroughly.
- Serve cool or room temperature.