Prep 2 hrs
Cook 15 mins
This is a recipe I used for my Wive's Easter Dinner while our husbands were deployed.
- 2 (1/4 ounce) packages active dry yeast
- 1⁄4 cup warm water
- 1⁄2 cup shortening
- 1⁄3 cup sugar
- 1 cup warm milk
- 2 eggs
- 1⁄4 cup orange juice
- 2 tablespoons grated orange peel
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 5 -5 1⁄2 cups flour
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 1⁄4 cup water
- 1 tablespoon orange marmalade
- 1⁄2 teaspoon butter, softened
- Dissolve yeast in warm water.
- Add milk, shortening, eggs, sugar, orange juice, orange peel, salt, and 3 cups of flour - beat until smooth.
- Stir in enough remaining flour to form a soft dough.
- Knead until smooth and elastic (6-8 minutes).
- Place in a greased bowl, turn once.
- Cover and let rise until doubled (1 hour).
- Punch dough down, and turn out onto a lightly floured surface.
- Divide into 14 pieces and twist into ropes.
- Place onto a greased cookie sheet, cover, and let rise until doubled (30 minutes).
- Bake at 375 degrees F 12-15 minutes or until golden.
- For Glaze:.
- Mix together all ingredients and beat until blended.
- Drizzle over rolls and let set at least 10 minutes.